Thursday, May 21, 2009

I am Blessed...

Yesterday, a friend of mine from the last school I taught at came to see me. He and I really had to rely on each other to get through our school year. Between our students selling drugs at school, holding scissors to other students throats, and attacking teachers, we needed to have each others back. Well I was let go from that awful school and he got a better job in Indiana. He was coming by to see how I was and tell me he was moving.
He was stunned at the behavior of the kids I teach now. He could not believe it. Total night and day.
He and I both have lost faith in Public Education. Government schools just do not do the job. We need to get rid of tenure, hold teachers and parents accountable, and get rid of unions. Unions are the bane of our society. They have ruined Detroit and public education.
My friend says if the public schools in Indiana are anything like the schools here, he will find another profession.
I am so blessed to be able to be where I am. If I can help it, my kids won't go anywhere near a public school.

Just to give an Idea of the quality of the private school i teach at:
2 students offered full scholarships to Pepperdine Univeristy
1 full Princeton scholarship
1 Vanderbilt scholarship
2 University of Alabama scholarships

over 3 million dollars in scholarships awarded to the senior class of 90 students last year. The largest public school, had a graduating class of 600 and under 1 million offered in scholarships to their students.

We offer honors Physics, Calculus, AP English and History.

Why anyone would choose public education over quality education is beyond me. I understand the cost aspect, but this is your kids future. Work for it. You do not want to look like this state.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration completely. I just can't turn my back on these kids (no pun intended) no matter how many time they curse me or attempt to assault me. These kids and their parents are here to stay and we need to find out what to do to alleviate this problem.

    And what is "quality education?" I really would like to know what would happen if we could switch the faculty of a "successful" private school and a "failing" public school for a year or semester.

    But, I am a hypocrite of sorts. If I can, I definitely will try to put any future kids of ours into a private school. Simply put, education is not an elevated value anymore. It's all about how can I get the most amount of cash in the least amount of time, legally or illegally. That's not too surprising since it was the institution of education that has taught generations of students that the reason for education is to make more money.

    ReplyDelete