Friday, May 22, 2009

Terminator Salvation....

Saw TS yesterday and while the effects and action were great, the story was only so so. To me the most interesting character in the Terminator universe is Kyle Reese. John Conner is cool, but Reese is the man. Without Reese, there is no John Conner, both biologically and symbolically. In TS Reese is introduced living among the ruins of post judgement day LA. Being followed by this weird silent kid .Anton Yelchin (Chekov in Star Trek) does great channeling Michal Biehn' Reese. I wish the movie had focused on him. I think instead of following Marcus Wright and John Conner, let's follow Reese.
This new movie should be about Kyle Reese not Marcus Wright. Wright is a throwaway character that has no bearing on the Terminator mythos. His story is not remotely interesting regarding the whole Terminator history and he serves no purpose. Why introduce him and have him take story away from Kyle Reese?
Conner needed to remain a symbol, unseen. I love Christian Bale, but he really wasn't given room to breathe ( the directors fault). It would have been cool to have all the machines searching for Reese and the Resistance racing to find him before the machines. He could have been brought to Conner at the end and that would set up a real man vs. machines battle in movie 2 with everything working towards Conner sending Reese to 1984 in movie 3.

All of the blame for this movie lies at the feet of the director McG. He was woefully inept at tackling this movie. He doesn't know how to get actors to emote. He doesn't know how to convey simple messages through film. James Cameron is a master at using action films to convey simple truths. ex:
T2: value human life
Aliens: a mothers love for her offspring as well as being an allegory for Vietnam.
...just to name a few.

McG just wants to blow stuff up and it look awesome. Which worked for his other movies, the Charlie's Angels movies. And his explosion worked here, but I want compelling story. I want to care for the characters. In the last month I have watched T1 and T2 three times because they combine good storytelling with awesome action. I don't know if I want to see TS again. There are no big character moments in TS. I hope they can McG and get some one who can bring emotion to the Terminator Universe again.
I think I will post my alternative Terminator story and see if you guys think it would be better.
(probably not).

No comments:

Post a Comment